The Phan Foundation is today opening nominations for the 2017 Padoh Mahn Sha Young Leader Award. This award is given annually to outstanding young Karen leaders who work for the development of their community. If you know a young Karen person whose hard work and commitment deserves recognition, please do nominate them.
An award of $2000 will be given to the organisation or community for whom the recipient of the award works. The winner of the award will be announced in early 2018.
How to nominate someone:
- Any Karen person under 35 is eligible to be nominated.
- That person can be living anywhere in the world.
- Nominations can be made by any individual or organisation.
- Organisations can nominate one of their own members.
- Nominations close on 31st December 2017.
- Nominations should be sent to Nant Bwa Bwa Phan: email@example.com
“Our father said that if we want our rights and to preserve our culture, it is vital for each generation to work for it, and through this award we the Phan Foundation is helping each new generation to do this,” said Slone Phan, Director of the Phan Foundation and the youngest son of Padoh Mahn Sha.
The Phan Foundation was set up by the children of Padoh Mahn Sha Lah Phan and Nant Kyin Shwe with the aims to alleviate poverty, promote education and human rights, and preserve Karen culture. Padoh Mahn Sha, the former General Secretary of the Karen National Union, was assassinated by agents of the Burmese government on 14th February 2008.